Saturday, November 15, 2014

Welcome to Freestate QRP

Freestate QRP is a new group for Kansas radio amateurs and others who have an interest in QRP (low power communication) and homebrewing (homemade) radio circuits. I am the first member, KE0BFF, and I live in Lawrence, KS.

According to FCC Part 97.5 (2) : A club station license grant.

A club station license grant may be held only by the person who is the license trustee designated by an
officer of the club. The trustee must be a person who holds an operator/primary station license grant.
The club must be composed of at least four persons and must have a name, a document of organization,
management, and a primary purpose devoted to amateur service activities consistent with this part.

If you are a licensed amateur radio operator living in Kansas and would like to become a part of Freestate QRP, please contact me by addressing an email to my call sign at qsl dot net. With the ability to eventually become an FCC licensed club, there are plenty of opportunities for you to contribute and participate.

If you are not a licensed amateur radio operator, but have an interest in building circuits or would like to learn more about homebrew RF and QRP. I invite you to email me as well and follow this group.

I imagine Freestate QRP as being a way for us to come together online, on the air and in person and learn from each other. I hope that we can inspire each other by group projects and teaching each other about different modes of operation.

Whether you are are an expert or a beginner, you are welcome in Freestate QRP. Let's learn to communicate using CW (morse code). Even the technician class licensees (which I am) have CW privileges in the HF bands. How about SSTV, PSK31, RTTY & even hellschreiber?

Do you use a boat anchor or an SDR? Are you a new ham like me or do you consider yourself an elmer? All are welcome here.

Please get in touch with me via email. My call sign (see first paragraph) at qsl dot net. Let's get together on the air and get this group growing.

In the meantime I will be adding content to this blog to get people excited about this group.

No matter what your age, status, gender, political or religious beliefs, or any other issue that may make you feel unwelcome somewhere, they do not matter here. It's all about radio!

73 (or 72 for those who need a bit less),
-KE0BFF
KS
freestateqrp.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Just a little update. Thank you for everyone who has contacted me with your kind words and encouragement so far. I feel like there is a strong community of great hams here in Kansas and I can't wait to network with more of you online, in the ether & in person.

    Certainly there are quite a few radio clubs in Kansas already. You will see as this blog evolves, that becoming an FCC licensed club is not the primary goal of FreestateQRP. As it stands, I am the only member, although all are welcome (please email). So for now the intentions of this blog are to simply inspire, share, contribute and give back to the community not just locally but world wide. I have been able to educate myself about homebrewing techniques thanks to the community and for that reason I want to give back to the community.

    Right now I am in the process of working on a few projects. Although there are at least a dozen on my bench at any given time, the last few days I have been working on my third iteration of an MMIC based wide band preamp to use with the HackRF. The first two didn't hold up so well as I am still getting acquainted with microwave strip line techniques. I'm doing 2.5mm wide strips on double clad. The reason I am designing the preamp for the HackRF before I incorporate it into a QRP design is because the wonderfully easy ability to measure the performance of it using the arsenal of SDR software out there.

    How wonderful to live in this day and age when spectrum analysis can be so affordable. Sure its not a high end Rohde&Schwarz, but it's also not $20K+

    So the wheels are in motion folks and I've got a few drafts started for upcoming posts. The biggest obstacle I'm having right now is determining how to share the resources I have without violating any copyrights, etc. I have over 100 custom images & PDFs that I've compiled from my favorite projects in zines like qrpp, sprat, hotiron, qrpquarterly, homebrewer, etc. as well as from online resources and ebooks, This collection has been very helpful resource for projects & references when building. I just don't want to offend anyone by sharing an image that was copied from an ebook or pdf version of a magazine. Any advice on this would be helpful. I guess I could always redraw the circuits myself, but I am an atrocious artist.

    Again, FreestateQRP is open to everyone. Have something you want to contribute? Email it to me This is a community and you are welcome to participate. I will continue to use it as a platform to share any helpful tips or interesting builds I've discovered. I will also be working with other local groups like SFTARC, who are an incredible bunch of people and I look forward to learning from them in person.

    Best wishes, to all & thank you for enduring me so far.

    ps I posted this as a comment because i did not feel like it was worthy of a blog entry of its own, feel free to comment and share your opinions. But be nice, I am human :)
    73

    ReplyDelete

Please share you thoughts and feedback! If you are here, you are part of the community and your voice is important. Just be gentle, we are human :)